Public Health Nuisances are environmental situations which have the potential to cause the spread of disease. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the Health Department investigates and may issue orders where nuisance conditions are found. Typical reported complaints that we investigate are:
- Excessive trash or garbage accumulation (outside the home)
- Infestations of rats
- Discharge or surfacing of untreated sewage
Please contact us to report these conditions. You may also complete the form below and submit to our office. Information you provide to us, including your name, will remain confidential unless a case has to go to court. Provide complete information to help us locate the nuisance. As long as you provide a means for contacting you, a Sanitarian will keep you informed on the status of your complaint.
Other health and living concerns
We provide information and /or referrals for many types of issues that are not considered public health nuisance conditions. When complaints relate to living conditions or contamination inside of homes, we can’t issue orders for corrections or cleanup to be made. Examples of these issues include:
- Mold, lead paint, radon, and other contaminants
- No water, heat or electric service to a home
- Bed bug infestations
- Trash accumulation inside of a home
- Failure to mow grass or weeds
- Dilapidated and abandoned homes and buildings
In some cases, we may be able to provide some level of support to other county agencies who may have the legal authority to investigate these problems.